Sunday, June 26, 2011

Moose on the trail!




It started out as an ordinary hike for the "half-Hikers". We were going to hike about 4 miles roundtrip on Wolverine off of Prospect. I think it was one of the first hikes for Julianne. Pretty far into the hike I said to be quiet because I thought I heard a moose. Everyone couldn't imagine how I said that with the bear bells, laughter etc. Anyway they were quiet and we heard nothing. Suddenly a moose came galloping quickly towards us on the trail. Dodie shouts out "moose!" The four of them jump off the trail to the left and try to get behind a tree. The moose was coming too fast for me to cross the trail and I quickly get off to the right, but there are not large trees around. Just after I get over it runs past us on the trail. About 50 feet later, it turns around to look at us. My heart was beating fast....it was scary. Joanne took the photo later on down the trail. We decided it may have been running from a bear or fox and it should be time for us to turn around also. That was a memorable hike.

No comments:

Post a Comment