Tuesday, March 15, 2011

BOW Becoming Outdoor Women- AK





This past weekend I went on a fabulous event with my friend Julia and Mary to learn about activities to do in our state. The views and the weather were terrific with no new snow and crisp, cold, sunny days.

We each chose four activities from about twenty possible. My first was pond to pan where I learned what to do after a fish is caught. First bonk it on the head to kill it and then bleed it by cutting on a gill area! We learned how to remove the guts with a very sharp knife and how to filet salmon. I practiced on three and was able to bring it home with me. Each fish was about 26 inches long.

My friend Linda and I used to say do something everyday that scares ( challenges ) you. Well my big one for the weekend was to snowmachine (snowmobile). First, we learned how to stop, start and accelerate the machines. Some were electric start, but mine wasn't so I needed help with that. We began going in circles on a large frozen lake and then progress to zig-zags to get an idea how to handle it. After that we took to the trails and rode about 25 miles. At times I thought Don would love this and I thought "Holy sh_t I am going to die." I was the slowest of everyone, but was still proud that I did not give up. A few times I needed help, and they told me I needed to go faster up the hills so I wouldn't get stuck midway up. Part of the time we were on an abandoned road. I noticed there was a guardrail protecting o0.ne from a deep mountain valley. However that wouldn't have helped anyone because the snow was as high as the top of the rail. I am not sure I will do this again, but now it is off my bucket list.

We stayed at a church bible camp. The cabins were simple, but well warmed. The food was good and everything was convenient. We met many friendly ladies. All of the instructors were volunteers and it was run by various state agencies. What a bargain weekend at only $250.

No comments:

Post a Comment