Tuesday, March 15, 2011

BOW Becoming Outdoor Women- AK part 2




My next two events were fishing related. I signed up to ice fish because I didn't think I would have that opportunity many other places. Anyway it was very cold and windy. Our van was able to drive out on the lake since the ice was three feet deep. We began by digging a hole in the ice with a ten inch gas auger similar to a weed wack machine. It was fairly heavy and I did it with another woman and were assisted by our instructor. We drilled for a bit and then would pull up to release the powered snow/ice. After about eight or so minutes we were through to water. Yeah! Then it was simple to put some bait of shrimp on the hook and drop it down the hole about five feet deep. No one on this event the whole weekend caught anything. They had set up warming tents similar to a regular tent with small kerosene heaters inside. Very deluxe. Glad I bought new negative 40 degree boots.

My last activity was Spin Fishing 101. We learned about various type of reels, poles, filament, hooks, spoons and fish. The regulations are pretty detailed when to fish, how many fish, what type of hook, what type of fish. I had no idea it could be so complex. I had no clue it would be illegal to keep a snagged fish. We practiced making various knots to tie on hooks, combine filament and avoid tangles. We practiced casting in an icy parking lot.

The whole weekend was so much fun. Can't wait to try something new next time.....

No comments:

Post a Comment