Thursday, July 8, 2010

Kayak at Lake Eklutna: Where is my sherpa?



Day two of kayaking. we decided that as long as we already had the kayaks on the car we would try another spot. I had read about Lake Ekluta State Park as a great lake to kayak. There is also a bike trail there. It was a beautiful place once we got on the lake. The bad part was a downhill climb of about 200 yards from the road to the lake which also meant uphill on the way back. The boats weigh about 65 pounds and we had to carry together. When we got on the lake it was perfectly smooth and gorgeous. There were almost no other boats on the lake. It could only be non-motor boats there. We paddled for about two and a half hours in total. After a period of time the winds picked up on the way back and there were small waves to fight. In addition there is a small river which feeds into the north end so we were fighting a current. I was paddling so hard at one point that I felt like I was on a people mover trying to move in the wrong direction. A large rock about fifty or so feet long was on the mountain side and somehow I couldn't seem to make an distance on it despite my best efforts. Don said I paddled for ten minutes without a break. I was getting concerned if I quit paddling, the wind would blow be backwards. We agreed not to go there again, if we there is not another put in site, because it was too hard to carry that far.

Much later that night we decided to see the Anchorage fireworks. We parked at our old B&B, and walked a block to a nearby park to see the fireworks. It was shown at 11:45 and still just dusk! The show was pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment