Thursday, July 8, 2010

First Kayak




This was our first kayak trip in
Alaska. The first project was to mount the kayaks on a new car with new racks. I wish I was stronger and taller. We had to lift the kayaks on the rack which was over my head! I am basically weak so Don did most of the job with my task not to let it hit the new car. I think we are mastering the technique on that.

We had a plan where we were going to kayak about an hour south of Anchorage. On the way there I noticed a sign that said next gas 85 miles, we did not have enough to get there and back so we decided to change the location. We had seen kayakers near a particular area we decided to try a small river. However after we unloaded the kayaks we discovered it was only a small, but pretty pond! It led to a small creek, but that was not good for kayaking either because it was too shallow with rocks and trees to get stuck on.

Earlier we had attended a class at REI on safe paddling and the instructor said to dress for the water temp about 40 degrees, not the air. I wore my wet suit, rain pants, boots, a fleece, a shirt and a rain jacket and a life jacket. I did not get cold. We also purchased spray skirts (little devices that fit over the opening of the kayak) to keep us warm and dry.

It was fun and tiring. At least we escaped the boxes for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment