Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Rainbow caught on the Kenai!








We had a friend, Bob, from St. Louis visiting for the week. For the 4th of July weekend we went on a fishing trip to the Kenai and then on to Seward. There were four of us in a small paddle boat with a guide. I explained that I was a beginner as is Don so give lots of instruction! The other man we did not know, but he was pleasant and an experienced fisherman.

We were outfitted with chest waders, boot, poles and tackle. We fished both from the boat and shoreline. The water was swift moving in the center but not enough to sweep us away and we did have on life jackets. Anyway, we were taught the lingo about stripping the line, and whipping the wrist, etc. A couple of times we got tangled in each other's line or on our own pole. Sometimes, I had good casts, but mine didn't fly very far. Practice, I guess.

About mid afternoon, no one had landed a fish. We were fishing from the bank when all of a sudden, I felt a tug and yelled " I got one!" I was surprised. Then I lifted my pole "to set the hook" and began to strip in the line. The guide came with the net and instructed me to let out the line a bit and hold my pole to the side. Then he netted my fish and released the hook. After that I smiled big for a photo. It was a rainbow trout about sixteen inches. It was fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment