Sunday, January 9, 2011

Chinook and life in a cold climate





The week we were in the lower 48, Anchorage had a Chinook meltdown. That means warm winds came in and much melting occurred. The rooftops mostly melted and the snow melted in the driveways and the cross country ski trails. That was bad because what was left was ice and not fun for anything. People are hoping for snow soon.

Today Don and I went to Westchester Lagoon skating. I don't have skates and don't like to skate, so I just slid around on my boots. There were about a hundred people on the ice, from toddlers learning to skate by pushing a cart or chair, to random people with hockey skates and I even saw a few on bikes!

The sun was setting and it looked pretty over the treetops. To the south we could see the mountains despite it was a very foggy day. There were several bonfires going on the ice. Literally on the ice, they were built in a steel trashcan with a false bottom so the heated part actually wasn't on the ice. I guess that is to not melt the ice! Don read the ice is two and a half feet thick.

After that we went downtown where there was an ice sculpture contest. They were very pretty and ranged from two to about eight feet tall. Some were of fish, bears, suns and one was of an Eskimo couple. I put my face in the hole for a picture.

Around town, the trees are all covered with a thick frost that glistens. I guess it is too cold for it to melt at about 16 degrees.

1 comment:

  1. Loving your photos and your wonderful descriptions of life in Alaska! Just thought I'd send encouragement and appreciation so you know there are readers out here! Curious, how has your shopping or cooking changed, if at all? We craved celery when living in Portugal -- anything you particularly miss?
    Carol

    ReplyDelete